Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Thoughts from an Earthling

I tire of spectral figures
stepping from the shadows,
pointing with their bony fingers
at the boat that waits
upon the blackened river,
flowing to a fated pier.

Tell me, spirit, of your origin..
Was there a spirit slime from whence you came--
a spirit bang as counterpart
to all the wildness of our infant universe--
a micro eidolon exploding
on the other side?

You will not answer.
Fate and fear are wedded
in a silence that will not prevail,
for spirits of the light abound as well;
I hear them laugh, and weep,
and speak to me of joy
beyond my sight.

I have one challenge to your spirit pride:
Lest you be unaware
that in the splendor of your great celestial choir
you do not have it all.
Remember when with earthbound ears
you heard the "Ite missa est?"
Then through your earthbound tears
you sang in antiphon, with all the church triuimphant,
"Deo Gratias."
~


No comments: