Sunday, November 14, 2004

Soldier

I must have marched the Appian Way
in triumph, for I hear the drums again,
and I am called by stouter hearts
to march among the men

who make their peace with death
and breathe it in the fight
as seeping blood might feed
their lust through the exploding night.

I want to feel the shiver on my spine
when cannon steel
tears into quivering flesh
before white flags appeal.

Oh yes, I tremble too
when sallow-bellied fools negotiate.
I want to be a patriot
before it is too late.
Lord, make for me an enemy
that I can love to hate.
~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not care for the message in this poem at all. If you meant to show through your verbal irony that advocating war is a terrible choice, you succeeded well, sir. It left quite a horrid taste in me...

A Peacemaker.

Anonymous said...

I think you did misread my comments Mr. Wilkinson. I know firsthand what war can do to a people and their land. I would never advocate it as the writer "seems" to be saying in his poem. I do hope I understood the poem as IRONY. I can not see how anyone could write such a piece and really believe the words of the last stanza. It is beyond humanity! I have hopes that the writer was showing us how horrid that personal view can be... IF true. From what I have read of the poet's work, I could not accept that he would really have this personal view of war. God forbid! I like the poem sir, but not the message of a war-thirsty warrior.

PS... I wrote anonymously for personal reasons I can not explain here. Do forgive the impertinence, if you can.

Still a Peacemaker.

Dean said...

Dean, here again. My own outlook, of course, is strictly anti-war, and the poem was absolute irony. I thank you both for your comments, and it seems that we are not so far apart, after all!
-Dean

Anonymous said...

Always!

Shalom,
Salaam,
Peace.