Thursday, December 02, 2004

Special Envoy (revised)

Angels are
those filmy things
with stereotypical wings
at which we throw our fancies,
quite expecting they will catch them in the air.

I think I met one, once--
said he knew a seraph who had really tried
to teach him how to fly,
but he never got the hang of it.
He didn't really mind, he said,
when he could speed
with beams of light.

I guess he was
my kind of angel...
didn't preach, or try to soothe my fears.
He only let me know
the chariot wheels still roll above my head,
though space walks make more sense to me.
For who can fathom energy
that transcends life and time?

I'm not quite sure about those wings
since after that, a closer look
was not a thing that mattered.
As I stood a moment in that light,
although no misted mountaintop
could aid me or confirm,
Elijah too, was there.
~

3 comments:

Dean said...

Thanks, prof.....the suggestion is sound....the wording, something I'm going to be working on.

Anonymous said...

No. Leave it. Don't make this change. It tells too much. Let the reader discover.

Dean said...

Then it is going to be hard to follow the prof's advice...Dunno.