Friday, December 03, 2004

Last Wooden Head

"It is that I'm too old to be your God," Gepetto said
to his new voodoo doll.
"Too old to make you dance, or give you life
or leave you self-entranced
from your own vision of the prize.
I know the glint of it is dazzling in the light.

"And yes, it shines off desert shores,
yet my poor eyes will squint and tear;
it's your new owners' plight
to turn your wooden sight away
from all the precious liquid underneath the sand.

"Rest little George,
though all your little soldiers are forsaken,
cry out your pithy tears
and dream of just a place
where all the screaming fades
and wooden dolls parade imagining,
along the precinct queue,
assured within their wooden hearts
that here is peace...and it's ok.
Their father's will is done.

"Goodnight, my little one.
Goodnight."
~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm fond of this poem.

easywriter