Friday, December 24, 2004

Macaronics

I deliberately left comment off my poem submission yesterday because I did not wish to insult the reader. Two things occur to me, however, one that some readers may not understand why I used this element of poetry, and might appreciate a discussion of it. Like all poets who use this particular device, I had what I perceived to be good reason for doing so. Also for the apostrophic reference to the Frenchman in the poem. Now, most certainly, I welcome the inquiry of anyone who might wonder about it enough to ask. So if you like, please do, either at the end of the poem, or in your own private post to me.

The second thing I have in mind this morning, is to invite a discussion on macaronics itself. Perhaps our visiting prof might give us the benefit of his wisdom on the use of macaronics and its justification in certain cases. I certainly could use more educating on that score. It is my hope that my own occasional use of it is never thought to be for the purpse of ostentation. If I am going to fulfill my own stated desire to find truth in all things, I must be on guard against any kind of falsity on my own part. Please join us in this discussion!

1 comment:

Dean said...

OK you should note, Wayne, that I did change "lorelei" to "Siren"....and it does work in French. I do want to keep the French as the macaronic element sinply because of the fact that it is a Romantic language. As the putative "international language of love" it is more appropriate anyway, but certainly for me encompasses the idea of paradox best (I think of much French literature and opera where this is true)

I do hope you will not overlook the serious examples of macaronic verse (other than my own) which are quite lovely...and dignified.