Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Stranger

The train was gone, and then inside, I saw
the old one standing, looking back at me
and out of pity I returned his gaze--
there was an urgency that held me fast.
It seemed that I could hear his thoughts that day,

"Come, stand with me beside the well of years
that I may bear to look at them. They feed
off memories and wisdom second-hand;
their refuse lies upon my aged mind,
and they are all I have."

We stood inside that station sealed from time,
and then I looked for madness in his eyes
and he in mine, until I realized
it was a full-length mirror that I viewed.

"Come look with me, into the well of tears, "
he said...
and turned,
and walked away.
~

3 comments:

AJ said...

Man, that poem deserves a re-read. Good work.

Here's a note I was trying to send via email, in response to yours. My browser froze up 3x in a row…didn’t like your address or something.

>>>
Thanks for the note. You're right, we probably wouldn't agree on much. However, that's an aspect of the beauty of blogging, the ability to rub shoulders with people that, well...your probably wouldn't agree with. When I do so, I often clarify my own conclusions - or revise them, as the case may be.

As you may have gathered, I'm a Christ-follower, committed to the reality of Jesus' person, without which I wouldn't be the person I am. However, that won't keep me from reading your writing. I appreciate the depth of your blog and the issues you're tangling with, and I'll be back. Take care!
>>>

Dean said...

Thank you, Angel. I'm no professional, but if you will contact me by email, we'll have a look at your work.

:..M..: said...

Very nicely written poem. I particularly liked "Come, stand with me beside the well of years
that I may bear to look at them.". There's beauty in those words.