Thursday, January 20, 2005

Let flesh retire

Upon reflection
there is something to this business
of a resurrection;
there is space within us set aside
to see the dead alive...to see

the Lord, and yes the least of these,
my sisters, brothers, now no more
imprisoned in their tombs,
nor subject to
that useless yeast
of faith dispensed on sawdust trails
and in the artless tents--the drums
and hoarse evangelists will plead no more,
no more.

"I am the resurrection and the life."
Though slender is the living bond
it is not cut
and what is manifested, too is artless,
though it seemed to die.
A love to imitate the Christ exceeds
the power to crucify.

"Not from the grave, my body
or my blood.
Discover in my words,
the realm of God,
and when you are together
eating,
drinking,
and remembering,
then you will touch,
and see,
and know
that it is I."
~

2 comments:

Duckie said...

The belief in a god, resurrection after death... this profound ideas keep needling my thoughts more than usual, after a guest at my last party, (a member of the local Peace Group), said he did not believe in a God or a soul. Even outside of religion, I guess I can not comprehend the Disbelief ?

Dean said...

I think we are all at the level that we need to be....and move up and down the ladder. The poem of course emphasizes that even a different from "normal" concept of the resurrection does work...that God does not have to be a creature or a being, to show "himself" "herself"....and bodies do not need to leave their tombs to achieve a resurrection. Perhaps some of us can claim that our death and resurrection has already happened...and may again. :-)