Wednesday, September 27, 2006

On growing deaf

Each year
my world is muffled
just a little more. I watch
the ones I love, whose pique
grows more transparent
when I ask them to repeat.
I see them drifting somewhere,
and I know that I may not presume
to go along.

Behind the spongy walls
around my mind, I watch
this process of invisibility
that comes with my retreat...
how soon will they be unaware
that I am even there;
the ease with which I fade,
now sets in sooner, cued
by changing leaves not welcome yet
to crowd upon September.

No, martyrdom is not for me.
This padded universe affords
too much of spirit realm
to carry in despair. I leave you
bit by bit, abandoning my cares
with every crumbling sense
and thus prepare to navigate
the larger world within,
and there take refuge
in the silent consciousness
of truth.
~

6 comments:

ardi k said...

Beautifully put. I love your last sentence. Glad I checked in.

Dean said...

Thank you, again, for visiting my site.
-Dean

M. Shahin said...

This was a touching poem. I understand the emotions and the situation. I cared for people who were deaf and were losing their memory...this poem brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Dean said...

Thank you, sir!
-Dean

M. Shahin said...

Dean, this is so funny :-D

I'm actually a girl. I can't tell you how many people have thought I was a guy. It has something to do with the shortening of my name, I think.

I think it is really funny, and I'm counting how many times it has actually happened.

I will be checking more of your poetry out in the future.

Dean said...

Thank you for all of your comments, and I am sorry about misidentifying your gender...and later for messing up your website. I liked your poetry, and didn't see my comment recorded so I tried it again (more than once) and I am afraid left it in a mess. Please contact me if you will at: cembalo@insightbb.com Sorry.....and thanks.